Domain 2: Classroom Environment

Every student deserves a safe, student-oriented classroom designed for their success. During my student teaching placements and at both of my schools in Harford County, Maryland, it was especially important to create an atmosphere where every student felt good. To establish this feeling, explicit instruction of classroom expectations was given at the start of my time with the students. I constantly referred to the school-wide rules, which followed the Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support model, had held students to these standards. By fostering a safe environment, my students felt comfortable demonstrating their skills in front of myself and their peers.

It is also my responsibility to create rapport with my students. Connecting with students on an individual, personal level has helped me understand what my students require of me as a teacher. As a teacher in Harford County, I volunteered to be a mentor, meeting after school once a month with my mentee to participate in a planned STEM activity. I aim to understand my students to the best of my ability so I can modify my teaching and help them become the best musicians they can be.