Component 3b. Using Questioning and Discussion Techniques

Component 3c. Engaging Students in Learning

Component 3d. Using Assessment in Instruction

Integration Lesson for Social Studies and Language Arts (2nd Grade)

This artifact is an integration lesson for social studies and language arts that I taught to second grade students during my Junior Block placement at Taylor Elementary in Columbia, Pennsylvania. I created and taught a lesson on sequencing main events in a story and physical characteristics of countries and states. The lesson included a read-aloud, open-ended questions, and an activity that incorporated the information presented in the read aloud. As the teacher, I made sure all the students were getting involved and engaged in the lesson, varying the presentation of the concepts: read aloud, teach-pair-share, and student work at the front carpet and at their seats. This lesson demonstrated using question and discussion techniques, actively engaging students, and the students' answers during the T-chart activity provided feedback on if they understood the main concepts of the lesson.

For a full lesson plan, please click the link below. In the gallery below you can find student examples of the T-chart they created that sequenced the main events of the story.

Integration Lesson Plan.pdf

Below you will find pictures that were taken while I was teaching this lesson.

Reading the story to the students at the front carpet. After the story the students were asked questions to see if they comprehended the main events in the story.