Community Meeting Plan

When my fifth-grade students repeatedly struggled to function as a team, I planned a series of classroom meetings. During the first meeting, I showed students a list of things that they had missed due to poor behavior.  Students then determined some behaviors that had prevented the class from working together.  I guided students with appropriate questioning as they considered what teamwork should look like/sound like.  I encouraged them to think about the individual characteristics and responsibilities that influence the collective functioning of the class. 

After a week passed, we evaluated our progress as a class.  The students checked off any characteristics that the class had demonstrated more consistently.  For each characteristic, students named specific examples that showed improvement.  We then discussed the positive effects of the students' choices.  We also examined areas that still needed improvement.  

By continuing to conduct these meetings, I helped my students see and address the issues that disrupted the classroom environment.  Over the course of several weeks, the students' behavior improved. 

A copy of the meeting notes is posted below.