Displays of Student Work

In my teaching experiences so far I have always felt it important to show students that the high-quality work they do is to be valued and showcased. In my junior block placement in a second grade classroom, I taught a two-day lesson about snakes. During that lesson, I had the students research a snake of their choice and write a short report about it. They also made paper plate snakes to go along with their reports. The students put a lot of time and effort into this project, and I made a display in the corner of the classroom to show their work.

While student teaching in a third grade classroom, I taught a unit on communities. I introduced the lesson by having students discuss what they thought a community was, and what communities they belonged to. For this unit, I drew out a giant puzzle on bulletin board paper with the same number of pieces as there were children in the classroom. I had each student decorate their piece with their family name and the different communities that they belong to. After everyone had finished, I reassembled the puzzle on a bulletin board. I explained to students that even though we are all different, we are a part of a larger classroom and school community.