Qualities of an Outstanding Educator

Whenever I think of qualities that make an outstanding educator, I often find that I think back to my middle school and high school experiences. Brad Henry, former Governor of Oklahoma, said, “A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning.” The teachers that always stick out in my mind are the teachers that did give me hope and transformed my love of learning, into a love of teaching. Those are the teachers that make a difference in the lives of their students and my hope is that through understanding what qualities a wonderful teacher possesses, I will be able to take on those characteristics and become that same inspiration to my students. These qualities are having set rules, flexibility, organization, and caring.

Having set rules and making sure that they are stated from the first day are very important. Creating a routine in the classroom that is developed around the teacher’s rules and consequences makes for a classroom environment that is structured. The teacher and the students are all on the same page. It is a classroom based on respect for the teacher, the class, and each individual student. This not only allows students to ultimately feel comfortable with the teacher and the other students, but more importantly it makes for an all around more comfortable learning environment.

During my student teaching experience I learned first-hand the value of being flexible. Being a professional requires one to work with many different people throughout the day. Not only is one working with the students, but one must also work with other teachers, learning support teachers, and aides. Those are only some of the people that a teacher comes across during the school day. This requires the teacher to be able to adjust their routine to often fit the needs of the students and others in the work environment. This adjustment may come at anytime and the teacher needs to be prepared to have the schedule and plans ready to change at any given moment.

Each teacher has their own level of organization. Some teachers need to have folders color-coded and their desk completely cleared, while others feel organized as long as they know which papers are in which pile. To each his own; but it is important to find what type of organization works for that specific teacher and stick with it. I feel that organization coincides with Danielson’s Framework for Teaching. Danielson’s first domain is planning and preparation. A developed system of organization makes planning and preparation much easier for the teacher. A teacher who has developed a system of organization that works for them will, I feel, be better off in the classroom setting. Less time will be taken away from instruction if a teacher has their papers and plans organized.

Lastly, I believe that caring for students is a quality that is the most important to be an outstanding teacher. Students like to know that the teacher cares if they succeed. Being able to build a rapport with students is a characteristic that I find a major part of connecting with students. An outstanding teacher is one that can make a connection in the classroom for students based on their interests. Asking a student a question about their tournament over the weekend or how they did in the play can make all the difference to a student. Showing you care will only encourage students to feel comfortable in the learning environment. Caring also helps to support character education which I believe creates a foundation of knowledge that students can take with them the rest of their lives.