I have always been a firm believer that we never stop learning. From a young age I was encouraged to open my mind through a good book. I would involve myself in discussions with my family members about current events or historical stories. So there is very little wonder why I have such a strong belief in the power of education. Coming from a long line of educators only encouraged me even more to consider sharing my love of learning and knowledge with others. And still today, I do not doubt that pursuing a degree in education was one of the best decisions I have ever made. In May of 2011, I graduated from Elizabethtown College with a B.S. degree in Secondary Social Studies Education with a History minor. I chose Social Studies as my concentration in education because I have always had a passion for history. Studying history has always inspired me and if I am able to inspire that love in at least one student, I know I will be making a difference.

I grew up in York, Pennsylvania and graduated with honors from West York Area High School. I was always very active in my school and in the York community using my love of history as well as my love for music. I was honored to be a part of several music groups for voice and instruments. For several summers in high school and college I held a job with the York County Heritage Trust which is my local historical society. I was an educator for the Trust, which was the first place I combined my love of teaching and history. I was also involved with my local inner-city YMCA, working at the public pool during the summer. This gave me an opportunity to work with children and their families coming from a wide range of demographics.

At Elizabethtown College, my desire to teach was encouraged and enriched by the Education Department. I was able to have many experiences starting from freshman year. Each field experience confirmed my desire to pursue education as a future profession. My Elizabethtown career has helped me develop into a leader and has helped me encompass many of my dreams, such as traveling, singing, acting, and dancing, easily with my pursuit of my major. I have been rewarded by being placed on the Dean’s List twice throughout college and have also been honored by taking part in the Pennsylvania Council for Social Studies educators annual conference as a presenter and asked to represent the Education Department by sitting on a panel during a lecture at the college given by David Levin, co-founder of the KIPP schools.

Being a teacher is a rewarding experience. The time that I have spent with children have taught me many things. One of the most important things that I have learned is that there are few moments in life more precious than seeing a student light up when they learn something new or figure out a challenging problem for the first time. My goal in life is to witness that come true every day.