Component 4a: Reflecting on Teaching

My Reflections on Teaching

Throughout Junior Block and Student Teaching, I reflect my overall performance on a weekly basis. In my reflections, I include what I taught as well as how well I believed the lesson was executed  or what I would change it I taught the lesson again. In the beginning, I knew that there were a lot of things I needed to improve upon such as enthusiasm and confidence. After completing my Student Teaching, these areas have seen tremendous improvement. I am no longer intimidated to be up in front of the classroom or nervous. In my reflections, I included methods of teaching that I enjoy and are successful that I would like to use in the future such as collaborative pairs and white boards.  I am also able to take away classroom management techniques that work as well as ones that do not work for me. I have become more authoritative which has boosted my confidence. I have learned that if a lesson does not go the way I planned, not to dwell on it, but to be constructive about it and make it better for the next day. This is especially applicable to teaching math. Going through school, everything in math just clicked with me. Since Student Teaching, I initially found it very difficult to teach math because I had a hard time bringing it down to the student's level of understanding. I have developed a repertoire of ways to explain it to students in terms that they understand such as using simpler language and model my thinking process for them on the overhead projector. While reflecting on my teaching, I have also become more aware of what students in the classroom grasp the material quickly and which students require more one-on-one attention for concepts to click. 

Unit 7 Notes