Component 3c: Engaging Students in Learning

"Legend of the Indian Paintbrush"

2nd grade

Engaging students in learning is such as important aspect of teaching. While creating the lesson plan for "Legend of the Indian Paintbrush", I needed to create ways to keep the 2nd graders engaged in the lesson to minimize behavior issues and boredom. The students were invited up to the carpet area while I read the story, "Legend of the Indian Paintbrush". Before beginning the lesson, I introduced vocabulary words that would be used throughout the story. This was imperative because it allowed students to understand the important parts of the story. While I read, I stopped to ask students questions and multiple students were given an opportunity to share their opinions. Students were predicting and making connections while they read. Then, I showed students my example of a picture and sentences. On the board, I put up a checklist of what students are expected to do while completing their writing. Next, students needed to draw a picture of their favorite part of the story and write at least two sentences to describe the scene. This allowed students who were great writers to get creative with their writing and challenged others who are not so good at writing to produce two sentences. If time permitted, students were going to switch with each other to peer edit the papers. Unfortunately I ran out of time, but in the future, this is something I would like to include in a few of my lessons.