Component 1b: Demonstrating Knowledge of Students

"Kid Watching" Case Study

2nd Grade

This case study was completed over the course of the semester while I attended the Milton Hershey School. During my time, I completed anecdotal records, reading interviews, writing interviews, as well as an analysis of the student's reading and writing. Although, this only provided me with detailed knowledge of one particular student in the classroom, I was able to develop an understanding of how to conduct different analysis's of student's reading and writing skills. From my educational classes, I knew how to conduct these interviews and I also learned what is cognitively appropriate for a second grader in reading and writing. Therefore, I was able to take note of where this particular child struggled as well as where they excelled.

I realized the best way to assess a student in writing and reading is through one-on-one interactions as well as informal interviews. In my interviews, I learned that this particular student was in fact a good reader, but lacked confidence in herself. I think it is important to know the interests of the students and this student proved it. The best I ever heard her read was when she was reading a book she picked out. She was never so excited to read to me and she had noticeably more confidence in herself. Although, I will not be able to do as detailed of a report for my students in the future, I want to be able to have one on one time with my students, which will help me as a teacher figure out what each student's strengths and weaknesses are in all subjects. Determining a student's strength and weakness will help me decide what to teach next.

Reflection on Kid Watching Project