Component 1c: Setting Instructional Outcomes

Component 1d: Demonstrating Knowledge of Resources

Component 1e: Designing Coherent Instruction

Revolutionary War Social Studies Unit

5th grade

I designed a unit about the American Revolution covering the important events and people that lead to the start of the war through to the end result of the war. While creating the unit, I used a lot of resources to research the content that students needed to know at the end of this unit so I had a strong background in the information I was going to be teaching. Using the Pennsylvania State Standards, I honed in on what content to teach the 5th graders such as what events and people were essential to understanding how the United States of America became a free country. After I created all the PowerPoints and lessons for the students, I designed the test with the information that was covered throughout several classes.

My cooperating teacher provided me with all the resources to create this unit. Although, I used a lot of the information out of the teacher edition textbook, I looked at other resources on ideas on how to present the content. I integrated technology into the classroom by using PowerPoint to introduce the information to the students. Each day students learned about two or three important events or people from the American Revolution. I included Senteos Smartboard Clickers in my presentations to make the PowerPoints interactive and students answered questions to keep everyone engaged. Using a PowerPoint to teach content meets the needs of different students in my class. Students were able learn visually, auditory, and kinesthetically. 

After the PowerPoint presentation, students completed packet pages about the events. The packet was created from the resources that I was given. Students completed a graphic organizer about each event that was covered in class. Other pages  ranged from answering questions, making personal connections, and interpreting political cartoon pictures from the Revolutionary War. The packet allowed integration of other curriculum areas into the social studies unit such as language arts and art. With all the instructional resources, I was able to design coherent instruction for the students in my class because I was able to break down the events from the American Revolution into ways the students could relate and understand. 

These are the PowerPoints and review game that I created for the Revolutionary War Unit

American Revolution Day 1.pdf

American Revolution Day 2.pdf

American Revolution Day 3.pdf

American Revolution Day 4.pdf

American Revolution Day 5.pdf

American Revolution Jeopardy.pdf

Revolutionary War Study Guide.pdf

Resources

1) Glasthal, J. (2003). History comes alive teaching unit: the American Revolution. United States: Scholastic Inc.

2) McDonald, G. (2003). The Revolutionary War. United States: McDonald Publishing Company.

3) Berson, M. J. (2005). US history, grade 5: beginnings. United States: Harcourt Publishers.

4) Van Tine, E., Lee, S., Cooper, C., White, B.(1999).Super social studies: quick and easy activities, games, and manipulatives. United States: Scholastic Inc.

5) (2007). Fascinating facts: social studies 100 comprehension-building ideas. United States: Mailbox.

Sample Project Picture (5)