Component 3c: Engaging Students in Learning

Component 3d: Using Assessment in Instruction

Everyday Mathematics Unit 7 and Unit 9

5th grade

In mathematics, students use the Everyday Mathematics Book and workbook. While teaching these units, I used a lot of formative assessments such as ticket out the doors, observations, student self-monitoring, and white board work. Ticket out the doors are a great way for me to see what concepts students have mastered as well as what they still need to improve on. This type of formative assessments allowed me to note what students need assistance, therefore I could readdress certain types of problems in class the next day. For some ticket out the doors, I have students self-assess their progress of understanding certain topics. They listed what they are hundred confident in and what topics they are still unsure about. I used these self-assessments to discuss specific topics on review day with the students to give more practice on concepts students struggled in. Another type of self-assessment I use is students using a thumbs up or thumbs down signal.  Then, I am able to quickly see if students are confident and we can move on to the next topic.

Another type of assessment I utilize is white boards. Students are required to complete the problem on their white board and only I see their answers. This gets everyone in the class involved and I can see which students are understanding the concepts. When students are not using their white boards, I walk around the room to monitor student's progress. This allows me to work one-on-one with the student.  At the end of every lesson, I reflect on my teaching and what concepts were covered that day in teaching. I also note what students are struggling to complete the work and what specific area they need help in. 

In my lessons, students work in small groups and collaborative pairs to complete a lot of the workbook pages. This is two-fold because it gets students talking to one another and interacting because a lot of students struggle to work with other people. It also gets students talking about math and discussing different ways to complete the problems. Using collaborative pairs and small groups, students are more engaged in the learning process. The pacing for each unit was varied because of the ability of the students in my class. I paced the lessons based on the ability of the students in my class. In unit 7, we did a lot more "I do, we do, you do" method for teaching the students, therefore the pace of instruction was slowed, but thats what the students needed to comprehend the concepts. For unit 9, we went into more depth of the concepts and different ways they can be applied because these students were able to cognitively handle the challenge. In unit 9, students were required to use the skills that they learned in class to apply to it a real world situation by designing their own house with a certain budget. They were required to then figure out the dimensions of every room in the house. 

Notes after teaching Unit 9