Component 2d: Managing Student Behavior

Behavior Management Techniques

All grades

Expectations and standards for behavior need to be made clear to students on the first day of school. It is important to be consistent with the consequences for students breaking a class rule otherwise students are never going to respect the teacher’s authority. When addressing student’s misbehavior, the teacher needs to decide the importance of addressing the behavior now or later. While student teaching, if a student in the class misbehaved, I first provided the student a verbal warning (if it was something minor), and then if I had to talk to the student again, I simply told the student to flip their clip and I went on with my lesson. Later, I talked to the student in private the reasons that their behavior was inappropriate and filled out a slip circling which rule the student broke and a brief explanation of what happened. For this artifact, I provided several techniques I have seen in elementary classroom, which have proved to be effective techniques and I would consider utilizing in my classroom. Another critical aspect of managing student behavior is to have attention getters. This allows for the teacher to get the attention of all students in the class without screaming or yelling.