2A. Creating an Environment of Respect and Rapport

Classroom Management Philosophy

My classroom management philosophy supports cooperative learning and emphasizes the importance of respecting diversity.  I believe that children learn best from communicating and listening to each other.  As students listen to others, they simultaneously learn to learn and develop an understanding of differences in peers.  Since every student is different, I will strive to teach the curriculum in a way in which supports the needs of students with different learning styles.  Overall, I seek to play a supportive role in my students’ learning by guiding them as needed.  I will strive for my classroom to be a place with a feeling of community and trust.

Classroom Management Philosophy:

In my classroom, I strive to foster an environment that respects the diversity of all students who enter the room.  I believe that student interaction is essential for the growth of children, and that students can learn best by interacting in a student-centered classroom with the collaboration of their peers.  For this reason, I promote many group-learning activities that engage students in becoming responsible for their own learning.  To accomplish this, I encourage the collaboration of ideas among different learners.  This requires effective grouping skills and careful monitoring.  During these times, I continually monitor and formatively assess my students to ensure that they are meeting the objectives of the lesson.  My job as an educator in this type of student-centered classroom is to facilitate learning and let students take responsibility for what they learn.  As I monitor group work, I ask students questions to focus their learning and work to clarify information for my students by providing them the tools they need to find the answer.  Since this type of learning environment requires the engagement of students to formulate their learning, I set and expect high standards that I verbalize to each of my students and show support as they endeavor to achieve these goals.  In conveying these high standards, students have the ability to be pushed to their learning potential.

In addition to setting high standards for my students, one of my goals as an educator is to facilitate learning in such a way that my students are challenged to think critically and explore different problem-solving methods.  I prefer asking open-ended questions that require creative thinking and thought-out responses.  I focus on not only literal comprehension, but more so questioning that requires inferring and making judgments in the context of their learning.  Before delving into questioning, I strive to create a hook, however, at the beginning of lessons that assist students in transferring their background knowledge to the content at-hand.  This helps students immerse themselves into the learning and “sets the stage” for engagement in the activity.

I realize that to achieve a classroom environment that is conducive to learning, students must feel comfortable in their classroom.  Students in my class know that my job is not only to educate them, but also to support them in all aspects of their growth.  My goal by the end of the year is for students to feel that they can express their opinions, hear different thoughts, and accept and appreciate all varieties of viewpoints.

To support student success in other contexts, I plan to utilize forms of intrinsic motivation to promote learning.  I will introduce the idea of setting goals and have students set achievement goals for themselves during different parts of the year.  I make myself available to any students who need help and will make it clear that some subjects in school take longer to master than others.  To support children who learn well in a variety of ways, I will accommodate my teaching style to different needs.  My philosophy on accommodations is that any adjustment that is to be made for one student should also be offered as an option to any other student in the class.  This offers additional learning opportunities for students who may also benefit from alterations.  Ultimately, my goal as a teacher is to reach out to each of my students through different learning opportunities to incite curiosity that will foster future learning.