Meet the Teacher (About Me)

Hello!  My name is Lauren Thim and I am a senior studying at Elizabethtown College.  I am delighted to be earning my degree in Elementary Education with a minor in Spanish this coming May of 2011.  I am currently a student teacher at Rheems Elementary School in the Elizabethtown Area School District, and have been growing as a teacher every day (along with my students)!  You will see throughout my portfolio that I have used many artifacts from student teaching to display on this website.

I am from Pottstown, Pennsylvania and graduated from Owen J. Roberts High School in June of 2007.  It was at my hometown where I first discovered my love for teaching!  I began helping as an instructor’s assistant at a local horseback riding facility, which is where I came to understand the power of creating a positive learning environment.  Through working with equestrian students, I developed the positive teacher-student relationships that aided in the success of my students learning.  This positivity and sense of encouragement are things I continue to value in my teaching today.  In addition, this positivity has allowed me to uphold high learning expectations for each of my students.  This commitment to learning goes two ways.  I expect my students to achieve high learning standards and in turn, I commit myself to a high level of standards for teaching my students.  The lessons I have learned from my students (current or past) continue to inspire me!

Activities: 

Since my enrollment at Elizabethtown College, I have involved myself in many activities including Big Brothers Big Sisters, Kappa Delta Pi Educational Honor Society, Education Organization, Community Service Work Study, a community service trip to Los Angeles, California, and other service-learning endeavors.

I was a mentor in Big Brothers Big Sisters for 2.5 years, mentoring a student at Riverview Elementary School.  During the program, I did games, crafts, activities, and homework with the child I mentored, offering positivity and encouragement during times of need!

Through Kappa Delta Pi and Education Organization, I have participated in events such as school fun fairs, helped lead community service events such as Super Science Saturday, helped at a science event at an inner-city school, and have taught a communication lesson to regional girl scouts.

During community service work study, I assisted in two second grade classrooms from January to November of 2010.  Here I worked in small groups, proctored tests, read stories to the class, and prepared materials for the class.

I feel so fortunate to have experienced each of these experiences.  Through reflection, I've seen that as the students with whom I work grow, I, too, grow professionally at the same time!  Each of these experiences has helped clarify my love and desire to teach students in my own classroom!