Domain I: Planning and Preparation

Component 1a: Demonstrating Knowledge of Content and Pedagogy

Component 1b: Demonstrating Knowledge of Students

Component 1c: Setting Instructional Outcomes

Component 1d: Demonstrating Knowledge of Resources

Component 1e: Designing Coherent Instruction

Component 1f: Designing Student Assessments 

Planning ahead is a prime attribute in my teaching. As an educator you need to know where you are going before you can begin. When designing and organizing my curriculum and instruction I first look at what I want my students to know by the end of the lesson/ unit. It is those key ideas and components that shape my assessment and instruction. I strive to establish effective lessons with challenging yet achievable goals. By taking this UBD approach when planning and preparing my teaching, the learning outcomes of my students are then strengthened.  Aside from having a sequential plan for the flow of instruction it is also imperative that your lessons are simultaneously meeting all of your students’ academic and developmental needs. Each student learns differently and is at various learning levels, which is why it is important that ongoing data collection and progress monitoring occur to determine where each student is at. Instruction can then be molded and individualized to fit their needs.  With such a diverse student body there is a vast need for differentiation. Therefore, it is imperative that immense effort goes into planning and preparation. As an educator you need to be prepared for anything and everything.