Educational Philosophy

My philosophy on education and pedagogy begins with the belief that all children are capable of learning. I think highly of Howard Gardner's theory on multiple intelligences, and the element that all children have a different method in which they learn best. It is important for me in my teaching practice to access students' prior knowledge and experiences in order to frame my instruction to best fulfill their academic needs. A strength in positive, successful instruction is the use of different strategies that incorporate and rotate through the different intelligences, so that students are not limited in how they are able to learn. In other words, my educational philosophy encompasses differentiated instruction that remains flexible and fluid so that I am prepared to make changes based on the academic and developmental levels of my students. 

I value diversity and multicultural education, a pivotal movement within the education world. Diversity is something that should be celebrated and used as a learning tool the classroom. I believe it is important for students to be exposed to different cultures by learning about their peers' culture as well as sharing about their own culture and background. The foundation for multicultural education begins with the teacher, and that means separating ones own personal biases so that nothing interferes with my relationship with the students or the students' relationships with each other. Creating a classroom community of diversity and acceptance where students can successfully learn in a safe, comforting environment is a key aspect of my educational philosophy. 

I believe that effective pedagogy stems from a student-centered approach where students are actively involved in authentic learning experiences. It is essential for students to complete performance-based tasks in situations where they are challenged with solving real-world problems. I want my students to be active learners who are not afraid to challenge themselves. I will promote problem solving, critical thinking, collaboration, reflection, and motivation in my future classroom. Incorporating STEAM education as well as 21st century learning are key techniques in which I plan to use to engage my students in authentic learning experiences. Fostering a student-centered approach encourages students to become leaders, so that they are able to learn to be independent and make decisions. This aspect of my educational philosophy also relates to building a multicultural education by designing instruction that is relevant and responsive to my students' lives.