Kurt DeGoede, Ph.D.

Engineering & Physics

Professor

Department of Engineering and Physics

Elizabethtown College

Elizabethtown, PA  17022

To contact me please use the form below.

Office:  Esbenshade Room 161-B

I completed a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Michigan after earning a B.S. in Engineering Physics from Hope College, and a M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Case Western Reserve University.  Between degrees, I also spent three great years as a project manager at Ford Motor Company in Dearborn, Michigan.    

I've focused my research around multidisciplinary biomechanics projects.  I collaborates with local physicians, along with faculty and students in Occupational Therapy.  I've also enjoyed mentoring 1 or 2 engineering summer research students each of the past 8 summers, in paid undergraduate summer research assistantships.  Most students continue their research for academic credit during the school year. 

Some of these studies have examined basic science questions in movement and injury biomechanics, often presenting their work at the annual meeting of the American Society of Biomechanics.  Others have helped develop two clinical rehabilitation tools the E-HAT (a fine motor control therapy tool) and the E-MAT (a gross motor control therapy tool).  Clinical investigations using these tools have been presented at the annual meetings of the Hand Society of Hand Therapists and the Neuro-Developmental Treatment Association.   The team collaborates with the College’s Social Enterprise Institute to explore opportunities to market these tools.  Licensing these tools to rehabilitation clinics would both enable better care for patients and generate revenue to fund continued student-faculty research and development of new tools. 

Again with the Social Enterprise Institute, I have developed a study abroad program in West Africa built around collaborative social enterprise projects.  Etown Engineering students are partnering with Physics students at the University of The Gambia, and Business students at Elizabethtown to develop appropriate technologies and accompanying business plans for launching local start-up social businesses in West Africa.  As of 2016, the first social enterprise pilot running in The Gambia selling affordable, locally-assembled photovoltaic phone chargers in rural Gambia. 

I love the opportunity I have at Elizabethtown to teach across the curriculum to both 1st semester students in all disciplines of engineering and 4th year students in Mechanical engineering.  I enjoy being part of a great team of faculty at Elizabethtown looking to keep our curriculum evolving, taking advantage of new technologies and pedagogies to continuously enhance the program.  I teach using a active/coaching style in the classroom focused on applying the material in the class together.  I've published numerous papers on engineering teaching pedagogy and thoroughly enjoy mentoring students.   I am the faculty mentor to the ASME student chapter, the college Cycling Club, and the Etown Cross Country team.  I also mentor to individual students through the Emerging Scholar, Purposeful Life-Work, and Servant Leadership mentoring programs.