Andrew Louis Smith - Background

I grew up in Doylestown, PA, which is located about 2 hours away from Elizabethtown College, and about 45 minutes away from Philadelphia. I am an only child and have lived at home with my parents in the same house my whole life. I attended Buckingham Elementary School, moved on to Holicong Middle School, and finished at Central Bucks High School East before I made the decision to attend Elizabethtown College.

Prior to college, I was involved in a number of sports activities. I played football for three years in; in my last year I received a varsity letter. I played basketball for 10 years for the Central Bucks Athletic Association (CBAA). Additionally I participated as a thrower (shot put, discus) during spring track for two years and in my freshman year of high school became an assistant coach for the 7th-8th-grade shot put team. Finally, during my sophomore year, I was an assistant coach for the middle school football team.

During middle school, I sang with the choir and was a member of Robe Choir (select choir) during 9th grade. I was also a member of choir in 10th grade and participated in several school and community performances including a 4 day trip to Washington DC to participate in regional adjudications.

I became interested in theater in middle school, which gave me many opportunities and experiences. I was heavily involved in the technical aspect of theater in middle and high school and was a member of the sound, lighting, and stage crews. In addition to working technical theater, I was an actor in Little Shop of Horrors, The Pajama Game, The Little Mermaid, and West Side Story. I found out that I enjoyed working technical theater more than acting and continued that with Aladdin JR, and Grease, and was appointed Crew Chief for The Sound of Music and AIDA. During my junior year, our choir, theater, and strings group took a trip to Disney World where we trained with Disney Studios. I was also a member of Media Crew and did special event sound and filming.

In addition to these experiences, I was also a member of Key Club and the National Honor Society where I was able to give back to the community through volunteer activities. I also attended Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Week, Misericordia University’s business and communications camps, and was a member of FBLA.

At the end of my junior year in high school I was admitted as a Probationary Volunteer Firefighter with Midway Volunteer Fire Company where I participated in ongoing weekly training and response. During the summer after my senior year (2014), I attended classes with Bucks County Community College’s Fire 1 Program and became a nationally certified Volunteer Firefighter. During winter break of my freshman year in college (2015), I spent 2 days riding along with the local EMS service as a volunteer. Because of this experience, I attend training the summer after my college sophomore year (2015) at Bucks County Community College and received my National and state Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification in doing so I will be able to volunteer at an EMS squad near my home.